Thursday 13 February 2014

Frozen in the Australian Heat

A while ago I told myself that movies were a waste of my money, and that renting from civic video was a much better option - namely because of the price difference. I had always come out of movies thinking to myself, "that was not worth $13" or "I wish I had just had the patience to wait for it to come out on dvd so I could've just rented it instead". There came a point where I could not take this horrible feeling of regret any longer. I was not going to watch another movie in the cinemas. Little did I know, that Frozen would be an exception to this. 

Let me explain myself. When I first heard of Frozen, next to nobody had. I watched the trailer on YouTube, it looked alright - wasn't that keen. Just another movie that tries to copy Tangled. After its release when more and more people started watching it, I heard pretty good things about it. People posted the songs on their Facebook, and YouTubers started doing covers of the songs - not bad. A few people asked if I would watch it with them, but I told them I wouldn't (due to my informal oath). I was determined to persist with this one. Under no circumstances, for no movie would I pay a bucketload of money to watch. Until Borthi asked me to... I kind of said yes because (let me explain, I'm innocent here!!!!) this would be my last opportunity to see her before she leaves to Townsville. She really wanted to watch it, and I guess I did too. So, I gave in and crumbled. Right at the last minute. :( We managed to get $5.50 tickets, which is pretty good (inclusive of free parking). 

Here we are, sitting in anticipation.
**** SPOILER ALERT****
Some memorable scenes of the movie!


















Yes - I cried. The plot was okay, but I loved the music. That's as much reviewing I'll do. We did quite a bit of walking to the CBD and back, but we took a polaroid on the way. I'll miss this girl :)


At small group that night, we played three rounds of MAFIA! I was policeman in the first two rounds and mafia in the last round. It was so fun! First time, mafia won (I think) because no-one suspected Charlene as mafia because she was so quiet and innocent! I did my best and killed off Kwany the mafia before I died. Second round, similar jist. People were getting the hang of the game, so at the end it was left to a few of us still standing. I suspected Wells to be the last mafia, but I wasn't sure whether to listen to him or to Charles. I was the police, so in my sleep I checked if it was Wells. It was. We voted him out/I killed him (can't remember). WOOOOO!!! 

Last round was the most fun! Alex, Charles and I were mafia this round. I tried my best to remain my vocal self and placed my civilian façade on as best as possible. I acted clueless as to who the mafia were, verbally ruling out possibilities and voicing out my speculations. Charles and I had no idea Alex was mafia because at the beginning Kwany was waving his arms around so we thought it was him. We actively and unintentionally voted him out to be killed. This turned out to work in our favour. People didn't suspect us because we didn't hesitate to vote Alex out. No-one had any major accusations against Charles and I during the whole game. I guess we acted well. Everybody believed me when I said I was innocent because I said the same thing in the previous games and I ended up to be the police. I guess consistency works. Charles did a great job at communication. We were sitting directly across from each other, which made things easier I suppose. He would use the dolphin soft toy to point to people and do particular actions unique to different members of the group. In a previous game, I had suspected Melody of being the mafia because she was stroking her hair as if nervous. In this game, Charles stroked his hair so as to indicate for me to choose her to kill. He also pretended to read a book (I don't know how nobody saw that). I didn't get that one at the start, but I figured it was Kwany, since he's a teacher. Anyways, job well done. I can't believe we won. Ace of hearts and Ace of clubs man. gg

I was going to bring a mango turd tart with toasted coconut crust to small group, but turned out it needed to be refrigerated overnight. Oh well. Here is the completed version.