Friday 7 February 2014

Konnichiwa Food Day


It was a total coincidence that J and I had Japanese for the two main meals of the day. We went to Ku-O for lunch after visiting a cake equipment shop to stock up on some essentials. On the menu was teriyaki don and fishcake, cuttlefish and tofu fish oden. I was so bummed that they didn't serve skewers until 3:30pm. The oden was not worth our money - next time no Ku-O for lunch. I'm keen for the drinks and dessert though! One day, when I'm loaded. 

Dinner with J and his mum was a spontaneous thing - Auntie Alice suggested Ren. Traditionally, I'm not a fan of this place, simply because the food doesn't speak to me on the menu. There are abstract items named in Japanese which are not explained. In the end, we let J do the ordering. He asked for agedashi tofu, karaage chicken, aburi salmon, aburi eel and spider roll. I preferred this combination a lot more than a huge main meal. It was a lot of food - very filling. They didn't do the karaage chicken as well as Ann Bar Gyoza, but their aburi salmon was delicious. We had an enjoyable meal, and I was glad to be able to catch up with Auntie Alice as well. 

One thing's for sure: I won't be having Japanese food in a while now!